Sunday, February 3, 2008

"Is she sleeping through the night?"

I love everyone's questions about babies. They usually are pretty standard questions but one I cringe at is, "Is she sleeping through the night?" Is it that people that have kids wonder if others are struggling with sleep like they did when their kids were babies? Or that they want to see if their kids were normal in that area? Or can they not think about anything else to ask?

This question is a touchy one. You could ask it to parents and if their child has colic and they are getting no sleep, you might get your head bit off. Or you could ask it to parents who were fortunate enough to have a baby that started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks and they are beaming about it and then hearing about how wonderful their child is (and rightly so! That is pretty amazing!). The question really just bothers me because I want her to sleep through the night because I am exhausted and she isn't 100% there yet. It isn't anyone's fault and I don't mind answering it. It just makes me feel like I'm missing something I could do to help her sleep better.

We were lucky that Libby started sleeping 6-8 hours very early - at about 2-3 months. However recently she does not seem to get enough food and her mouth is hurting from teething...so we are lucky to get her to sleep 6 hours max before wanting to feed. I know this is perfectly normal but it still makes me feel like I am doing something wrong (as silly as that may sound since I have no control over it).

I'm not writing this to make everyone stop asking me this question...because most of you can tell from the bags underneath Jim and my eyes or my irritability that she is not sleeping through the night yet. =) I'm just writing to vent...because...well, because that is what this is here for. =)

No comments: