Saturday, September 15, 2007

Writing/Thinking Out Loud

I've had a lot more time to think about things (and watch TV =) ) since being told not to go back to work. I have started watching Boston Legal on Netflix and am up to Season 2. One of the episodes was this silly one where 2 couples (One Catholic and one Wiccan) were working together to stop a principal from dressing up as a witch for Halloween. They each had their own very different reasons as to why they didn't want the principal to do this tradition but the lawyer Shirley Schmidt (played by Candice Bergen) stated this poem that really moved me. I watched it several days ago and mentioned it to Jim last night. He was sweet enough to find it online along with the history and I wanted to post it here.
In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

Here is the history...I just thought it was really moving.

No comments: