Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good night, Baby Girl

I know I am going to jinx it but our daughter is really good at putting herself to sleep at night. Now, that doesn't mean that she won't scream. Oh no - she'll most definitely scream. She isn't screaming because she doesn't want to go to sleep. Sadly, she is screaming because she wants to go to sleep but somehow cannot. Our normal routine in the evening is that I pick her up from daycare around 4:45ish and take her home screaming in the car. Again, she is screaming because she is tired. She continues to scream as I take her out of her big girl car seat, walk up the stairs, and sit down on the couch. The screaming will pretty much continue until her daddy or I lull her to sleep. She'll normally wake up about 4-5 hours after her last bottle to down 8 or 9 oz of food and then goes right back to sleep. We normally do not even have to think about putting her to bed because she naturally goes to sleep by herself. Today was completely different. I picked her up from daycare and she was completely happy. She cooed and talked all the way home with very little screaming. The happiness continued for a little bit more and then she started to fuss. And fuss. And FUSS. I just knew she couldn't be hungry because it was only 6:00 and she had just eaten 8 oz at 4:30. Food is usually the last resort but tonight it worked. It turned out she was hungry. Again I just knew she would only eat 2 or 3 oz and then fall asleep during her bottle. Nope - I was wrong again. She downed 9, yeah 9!, oz and then was wide awake. How on earth? Yeah - it was strange. So at 7:30 and 4 books later I decided it was time for her to go to sleep. I had no idea how this was going to go because we had never done this. I put her in her crib and she fussed for a bit...but within 15 minutes she was asleep. Yay! I hope this continues!

No comments: